The Duke of Marlborough…
…is a Grade II timber framed building with its origins in the early 15th century.
It occupies a crossroads location at the junction of Chapel Lane, Hall Lane and the Main Road which was called Upper Street at the time of the tithe survey in 1838, and formed a separate hamlet to Lower Street, near St Mary’s church to the east.
Since becoming an Inn (early 17th century) it has been called various names relating to the national hero of the time, the 1st Duke of Marlborough – John Churchill, victor of the Battle of Blenheim in 1704.
The crest of John Churchill, which is flanked by two wyverns, gave inspiration to our new logo!